Subject: Re: [Leica] Handgrip
From: George Huczek <ghuczek@sk.sympatico.ca>
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 1998 09:23:20 -0600

At 12:10 PM 31/12/97 -0600, you wrote:
>Does anybody out there use the leica hand grip for the M6?  Is it made by
>Leica or an outside vendor?  Does it reall offer much besides more weight?

Not sure who makes it, but it comes in a Leica box.  I haven't been using
Ms for very long, so I am not used to their "look and feel" without the
grip.  Some who have been using Ms for decades may have trouble getting
used to the grip.  I am used to SLRs with handgrip ergonomics or drives, so
the handhold ability and weight is good, for me at least.
   The grip centres the tripod socket, and as some have already indicated,
offers baseplate protection with tripod use.  One small problem ... it
leaves a tiny rectangular impression on the vulcanite, where the handgrip
makes contact with the camera body, just below and in front of (facing the
lens) the shutter release button.
   The only time it comes off for me is when I need to use a winder.  I
like the way the camera holds with the grip.  For me, it fits my large
hands better.

- -GH