Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Lens Coating Problems
From: "Patrick G. Sobalvarro" <pgs@sobalvarro.org>
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 1998 21:23:08 -0800

At 01:08 AM 12/30/97 EST, Myers Pete wrote:
>I would have no complaint if it was a fluke. Everyone has a bad day and a
>'soft' lens might get packed up by mistake. But, what I am hearing is that
its
>popping up with a number of LUGnuts. Even if there are only four of us with
>this experience as of late, out of 500 LUGnuts, that is a lot. Considering
>that the 'count' is eight lenses. As I understand it, the score is (qty 4)
>R100 Macros, (qty 1) R28mmf2.8 ROM, (qty 1) R80mm ROM? (qty 1) 35mm f2 ASPH M
>and my (qty 1) R35mmf2 ROM - all within the last few months.

The one coating flaw I've seen in a Leica lens was in a 100/4
Macro-Elmar-R.  The flaw was not a bubble, but a raised area where the
coating, when wet, had gathered.  Obviously, I didn't buy it.  The Elmar I
finally did buy (the bellows version) had no coating flaws.  Were the 4
flaws others reported in R 100 Macros in Elmars, or in the APO lenses?

- -Patrick