Subject: Re: [Leica] Summarit/ 90 M Summicron at f 2
From: Alfred Breull <puma@hannover.sgh-net.de>
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 1998 21:59:44 +0100

Maybe I'm just lucky - my LTM Summarit, s/n 1.055.369, separates
the hairs of eyebrows or eyelashes at 1.5 m (5 ft) and f 2.0.
That's approximately the same (or more) what the 90 M Summicron
does at 2.50 m (~8 ft) and wide open.  Additionally, both, the
Summarit and the 90 M Summicron, show a rather soft out-of-focus
rendition. These were the conditions, on which I described the
90 M Summicrons' wide open performances. And, I think, that my
comparison was not unfair. But, I agree also, that the 50 mm
Summitars or Summicrons are more sharp at f 2.0 than the
Summarit, and that they separate more shadow details, specially
under low light conditions. And I agree also, that the 90 M
Summicrons manage high contrasts wide open far better than
the Summarit at all f stops. But, maybe all that was a little
too much detailed for the original question ?

Alf