Subject: Re: [Leica] 35-70 f/4 R
From: Richard Clompus <rclompus@voicenet.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 1998 22:02:51 -0800

Thib asked:

<snip>>Does one you have tried the 35/70 f/4 R? Is that a real german lens
or a kyocera? Is it any good? Thanks in advance.  Thib.
<snip>

I have been using the 35-70/4 Leica lens since the Summer.  I have been
impressed by the quality of the images and close focusing ability of this
lens.  Its not the same as my 100/2.8 apo macro - but for general purpose
use, its a very fine lens.  It does have one aspheric element in it.  It is
very lightweight and has proven to be mechanically hardy as well.  I don't
pamper this lens and it continues to satisfy my needs.  It is Leica
designed but actually produced in Japan.  I'm not sure if its made by Sigma
or Kyocera.  My new 80-200/4 R Leica zoom lens is also designed by Leica
but is made by Kyocera.

I find the outsourcing of fabrication by Leica to be success as long as
they supervise the quality control.  That's why I paid $1200 for the zoom
lens instead of $395 if it was in a Canon or Nikon mount.

I think all of the wonderful Leica Ultra binoculars are made in Portugal
and the Minilux by Panasonic in Japan.  It is a smaller world these days.

Happy shooting,

Richard
Richard Clompus, OD
West Chester, PA