Subject: RE: [Leica] Black Star 60 Years + Leica 75 yrs...
From: D Khong <dkhong@pacific.net.sg>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 17:44:14 +0000

Hi LUGs

>However, how many of you have "75 Years of Leica Photography." ?

I have one... shipped all the way from the USA.  It is a smashing book and
truly inspirational.

For those LUG members in Singapore, Borders here (yes, Borders is here in
Singapore)  has the BLACK STAR retailing at Sing$49.90.  I just picked up
my copy which is still in its plastic wrap.  It is a heavy book weighing
almost 3.5kg and may be the predisposing cause of one's hernia.   I intend
to unwrap it after dinner.

On the subject of Leica M photography, I shot a roll of Kodak Ektar 25 with
my M6 and summicron 35/2 (6 element version).  The light was dim and I had
to open the lens all the way to f2 and set the shutter speed to 1/30 sec
handheld.  Some fill in light was achieved with a Photoflex gold reflector.
 The subject was a bronze statue of a mother holding her baby.

The sharpness was remarkable and the main subject had a very pleasant depth
of field.  The background was like a painted canvas  backdrop.  The
backlights blend together like complete circles thanks to the leica lenses
with more diaphragm blades.  The performance of the 35/2 summicron never
fails to amaze me everytime I use it. It has an ethereal quality.

Dan K.