Subject: [Leica] Pre soak or no soak
From: "BIRKEY, DUANE" <dbirkey@hcjb.org.ec>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 17:12:51 -0500

>I have been following Duane Birkey's formula for T-Max, that is, using
>higher temperature and less time; 24C for 6 min.  I like the results
very
>much.  Another thing I have been doing is pre soaking the film in 24C
>water while I prepare the other solutions.  The water I discard is a
light
>amber color.  What happens chemically when I pre soak?  Is this a good
>idea?
>Thanks
>Damian

I'm not sure whether it is a good or bad idea.  Personally, the only
film I pre-soak is 4x5 T- Max in the JOBO expert drums.

If I remember right, Kodak doesn't recommend pre-soaking 35mm films.
From a practical side, it adds a few more minutes to the processing
time and if I remember right, extending wet times increases grain size.

I'll see what I can dig up.

Duane Birkey
HCJB World Radio
Quito Ecuador

PS   I had a good vacation to the states,  thanks to Sam Shoshan for
the 35 Summicron Asph and Don Chatterton for the 90 Summicron.

I've discovered from reading back digests on why I have never gotten
through to Don on the phone,  some guy keeps calling him to find out
whether he has a 3 or 4 element 90.  (don't take it personally please)