Subject: Re: [Leica] Off-topic: Retina differences
From: "Dale R. Reed" <dale-reed@postoffice.worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 10:30:31 -0800

BBAIN wrote:
<snip>  The IIIc ("small c") had a built-in selenium meter

Both C and c have built-in selenium meters
<snip>
>                The IIIC ("big C") added built-in bright-line frames for the
>                35mm, 50mm and 80mm, and in its final form, increased the
>                film speeds the meter could handle from 1600 to 3200 ASA.
>                The larger finder makes them more usable -- the II/IIIc
>                finder is somewhat small and the IIIC's is just better.  I
>                can't recall if the frames were parallax-corrected or not.
I don't think so.
<snip>
>                All the Retinas are nice cameras.  There is supposedly a
>                cord or cable in the meter that can break and is expensive
>                to repair when it does,

Film advance mechanism is weak.  Gears strip when you are about half way
winding from one photograph to the next.  I am keeping my fingers
crossed that George Mrus Retcamrep@aol.com in Florida can fix my
cameras.  I have kept them in a box under the bed for a couple years
after sending them back and forth to a mechanic in California that
charged big but was obviously incompetent.  I had given up until Marc
James Small of this list sent me George's name.

>and even though the IIIC finder is
>                not as bright as an M3, they can be a lot of fun.

I am still enjoying the about a thousand Kodachromes I took 40 years ago
in Antarctica with my Retinas.

>                Another LUGger make be able to shed more specifics on them.
>                This is what I remember fron using them in the '60s.

My C and c are being repaired but should be returned in about a month
and then I will be able to better answer questions.    Dale

PS  As long as we are on the subject, sort of. The light meters on my
Retinas probably will not be fixed and anyway I would like to have a
more modern meter for outdoor photography.  Flash capability is not
required but reflected and incident light capability is important.  And
must be very sensitive for use in low light conditions with my M6 .85
when they become available for looksee and purchase.  Wonder if anyone
has any recommendations.
- --
$  dale-reed@worldnet.att.net   Seattle, Washington U.S.A.  $