Subject: Re: [Leica] Apo Lenses for the M6
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 08:38:52 -0600

At 12:27 AM 1/13/98 -0500, you wrote:
>I've heard before that it's the long lenses that suffer most from chromatic
>aberration and therefore apo correction is beneficial. Maybe the higher
>magnification of macro range has similar optical problems, and Leica wanted
>similarly high correction?

For 35mm film APO correction is needed mostly for lenses of 100mm or
thereabouts and up. It's not like a perfect line can be drawn I'm sure. No
doubt depends on a lot of factors. But for normal lenses and wide angle
lenses, APO correction isn't that necessary.

Note with large format, some normal and slight wide angle lenses are APO as
well, because they are used as process lenses. (Manufacturer's intent, not
necessarily shooters). That means close up.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

My Karma ran over my Dogma..