Subject: Re: [Leica] Summicron 50 mm question
From: Erwin Puts <imxputs@knoware.nl>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 00:17:53 +0100

>Hi All!
>
>Just bought a Summicron 50 mm today. It is a 1969-1979 model (second
>optical design). According to J. Eastlands Leica M Compendium there a two
>version of this lens, a 7 and a 6 elements design. Does any of you know
>what kind of lens mine is? Serial number is 2518961.
>This book also states the differences this specimen and the current optical
>design so minute as to be of little consequence. Is this true? Erwin what
>are your findings?
>=========
>Bert Keuken

I am not aware that the second version has been made in a 7 and a 6 element
design. It is not true anyway. The second version having 'minute'
differnces between the 3 version is also not true. The second version is
weaker in the far corners when one considers the subject outlines and
weaker in the outer zones when one considers very fine subject detail.
Especially at extremely fine details the 3 version is quite improved in
comparison to the 2 version.As I have stated often it is not easily proved
in practical picture taking. It is an art in itself to secure image quality
that exploits the fine performance of modern Leica lenses.
The remarks Eastland makes are not original findings, but compiled from
other sources.