Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica E-mail group
From: Dave Richards <rchdp@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 17:34:22 -0700

>>The possibility of having a Leica newsgroup has been discussed before
>>on this list.  Some people said they like the idea; others (myself
>>included) prefer a mailing list for a variety of reasons.  These are:
>>
>Let me add one more strike against news groups.  I find that a certain
>large percentage of postings to news groups never seem to show up in my
>ISP's news server.  I think this is true for many people and seems to be a
>characteristic of how news is propogated from one server to the next.  We
>would tend to miss a lot of what is being discussed in the group.

I dislike newsgroups on principal for two main reasons.

First, they collect a large amount of unwanted Spam.  (Is there such a
thing as wanted Spam?)  Everything from get-rich-quick schemes to
cyber-porn.  Most is just annoying, some is downright insulting.

Second, newsgroups seem to foster rude, embarrasing behavior on the part of
some subscribers.  They seem to think that, simply because they are mailing
to a 'basket' rather than to a group of individual, they can flame and rant
with impunity.  Also annoying and insulting.

While I agree that the volume of messages I receive is occasionally
burdensome, the trashcan icon is always at the top of the screen.

Just my personal opinion.

Dave