Subject: Re: [Leica] Yellow Cast on Flash "shots"
From: Carl Socolow <csocolow@microserve.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 1998 01:12:50 -0500

Craig W. Shier wrote:

Snip

> If you really want to get fancy put an 80A filter on the lens to whiten the
> ambient and a 81A gel on the flash.  Then the flash and ambient will be
> closer to the same color temp.

Actually, you would want to use an 85B on the flash. The problem with
this scenario is that the 80A on the lens is going to use up about 2
stops (correct me if I'm wrong I don't feel like looking it up) and the
85B on the flash is also going to reduce its output. And if you're using
an SLR you'll have to look through all that blue and focus through it as
well. My approach when using color neg film, at least, is to gel the
flash with 85B so it matches ambient color temp and then let everything
go warm. Have them correct it at the lab when they make the prints.
Works well. Can also be done with fluorescents using 30cc green on
flash. Finally, what's wrong with a little warmth in a scene?

Carl S.