Subject: Re: [Leica] Editoricide
From: The Barkers <rbarker@polarnet.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 1998 04:47:41 -0800

<Now
<to play with my new Japanese rewind crank on my M3. Very cool piece of
<equipment. Beautifully made. Back on topic.

<Carl S.

Carl, I'm new on the LUG list.  I hope you don't mind if I offer a caution
about add on rewind cranks for M3.  I used them for a few years on M2 and
M3. Often at the end of the roll when the end came mid frame I'd attempted
to pull up on the rewind nob.  The teath of the gears would not engage and
I was stuck unable to rewind.  On those occasions one is want to force it a
bit.  The end result was having to have the rewind gears rebuilt twice
which requires removing the whole rangefinder assembly. Expensive. (For
some reason this didn't happen with M2.)
I through  the rewinds away after that.

Jim Barker

James H. Barker (Jim) - jbarker@polarnet.com
High Latitude Documentary / Ethnographic Photography
Fairbanks, Alaska