Subject: [Leica] Light leaks in rangefinder cameras
From: Camrabug <Camrabug@aol.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 1998 23:55:08 EST

Regarding light leaks with the rangefinder cameras. 50 years ago I had the
same problem with IIIc's, IIIF's, and M3's, all of which I bought new, and
with different lenses. I used type A film outdoors and a conversion filter for
obvious reasons. (If anybody wants to know the reasons I wll go into that next
time) I had a blue fading steak on one side of the film, running from top to
bottom. It took Leitz & I six months to figure it out. The leaks were random,
sometimes several on a roll, sometimes none. It finally dawned on me that the
light lekaked when lenses were changed, AND the body held up to strong
sunlight. The blue light coming in was of course daylight, unfiltered with a
conversion filter as there was no lense on the camera. TYype A used
outdoors,no filter and you get blue(or moonlight) if you underexpose it. The
answer is simple, but in 1950 it was not.. I hope this helps.I am not on all
the time, so if anybody e-mails me or writes thru LUG it takes a little time.
Dan