Subject: Re: [Leica] That 'grit' thing on R8 screens
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 1998 20:16:44 -0800

Eric Welch wrote:

> At 12:33 PM 1/18/98 -0500, you wrote:
>
> >have not looked at one of those monsters yet, but if I remember correctly
> >someone said the R8 was brighter than the F5.
>
> Harrison,
>
> I am just acknowledging that the report said that there is no objective
> difference between the two. So I defer to their testing apparatus. I think
> the R8's viewfinder is brighter, but I allow for imagination. And the F5 is
> brighter than he EOS1n, but wait until Canon replaces it with the next
> thing. Canon users will have to wear shades. :-)

I measured the F5 to be one stop dimmer than the N90s which is dimmer
than the F3 to me.  The R8 is like turning the lights on.  I asked a
Nikon rep why F5 so dim.  He said because of the electric circuits in
the ground glass that activates the focus-spot indicators. My limited
experience with Canon indicates that it too is dim and probably for same
reason.  The irony is that the screens that are needed for AF make AF
mandatory.

donal

- --
- ---