Subject: Re: [Leica] Ring strobes - AND ASPH
From: Nick Hunter <nhunter1@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 01:24:47 -0500 (EST)

Some thoughts on the TTL ringflash issue:

1.) Last time I checked, Sunpak does not have a TTL module for Leica.  :(

2.) Some ringflashes have two tubes and can light from one side or the
other (you can rotate it to any position). You can also block out some of
the arc to directionalize the light if your ring does not have this
feature. TTL should compensate up to power limit. Don't block off too much
light!

3.) If you use two flash units in TTL, you can  vary the power ratio only
by changing the distance. This may sound counter-intuitive, but automatic
flash units adjust power by duration, not intensity. The TTL (or thyristor,
in non-TTL auto) can only set one duration for linked flash units. Their
relative output will be the same regardless of setting. This won't be true
of manually set, metered flash (but don't forget that extension factor!).

4.) If you want a ringlight, and are prepared to stick with non-TTL, The
Sunpak 622 with ringlight head can be set manually and has more kick than
shoe mounted models. You may need this for high magnification work. (BTW,
622 is TTL for cameras where Sunpak makes the module)

5.) You don't mention what lens you will use, except to say you will use
supplementary lenses and a bellows. If you go beyond life size using normal
camera lenses, you may get better results reversing the lens.

6.) I can't believe I used the word "directionalize" :)

Best of luck, hope any of this helps.

Nick Hunter