Subject: [Leica] Re: deception
From: LeicaM6@webtv.net (David Miller)
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 21:30:10 -0600

Thib,

Deception?  Please explain.

I have been using nearly identical equipment as you, and I can clearly
see the difference between a 1960s Summicron and the Nikon f1.8 50mmAF.

I own 2 M2s and an M6, as well as Nikon equip, including an 8008s.

I have taken some great photos with the 8008s w/50mm 1.8 lens.  It's a
great camera and fits my hands perfectly.  To say the Nikon lens is
better is far from the truth in my opinion.  True, for the cost (under
$100 used) it is an incredible little lens.  However, it does not render
tonal properties as well as my 1960s 50mm Summicron.  This I noticed
immediately when I started using Leica equipment about 5 years ago.

There are experts on this list much better than myself at explaining the
technical sides of lenses, but to put it simply, what I noticed with the
Summicron is that flesh tones on B&W film just looked better with the
Leica optics.

I find that Nikon lenses, as good as they are, render these skin tones a
monotone.  In other words, the Leica Summicron records more subtle
tonalities.  The Nikon 50 1.8 does not come close.

Perhaps your M2's range finder adjustment is off.  Maybe there is a
problem with the lens.  I don't know.

If you feel deception is behind Leica, I'm sorry to hear that.  Still,
when you decide to sell your M2 there will be plenty of people willing
to pay good money for it.

One last parting thought (question).  Where will your (and mine too)
Nikon 8008 be in twenty years?  Will it perform as well as it did when
new?  Will parts still be available for it?  I know the answer and that
is another reason why I like the Leica so much.

Best wishes,

David Miller