Subject: Re: [Leica] 2x "R" Extender at Camera Show.
From: "A S Jordan" <andrewsjordan@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 00:53:52 -0500

- -----Original Message-----
From: BenTroGa <BenTroGa@aol.com>

>Ted: when you were little, did you find unusual objects to play with?
Like,
>hooking up playing cards to flap on the bicycle spokes? Or, maybe, turning
the
>tricycle frame upside down so it rides like a Big Wheel?  Or maybe taking
off

I actually appreciate the spirit of experimentation represented by Ted. As
an outstanding professional photographer time and time again he wants to
bring the "bacon" home  as opposed to some of us with engineering training
or the collectors' passion who are more excited by the curing process or the
smokehouse than the bacon.
In a more serious  vein, I owned the 2x  teleextender for the R camera
(which is no longer in the Leica catalog).  I used it often with a !80mm
f3.4 Apotelyt. The results with this early  pre-apo converter  were
acceptable and not surprisingly inferior to the prime lens. Moreover,  the
resulting 360mm f6.8  lens required using  a tripod with my favorite slow
films. We have all heard very favorable raports  about the apo-extenders. I
wish one could use a 1.4x apo-extender with the Apotelyt with the f3.4 lens
as one can do with the f2 and f2.8 lenses. To me and perhaps to many others
this could be a very practical combination. Can we persuade Leitz to produce
a 1.4x converter compatible with the 180mm f3.4 Apotelyt?

                   Andrew Jordan

      35 miles south of LEICA USA