Subject: Re: Re[4]: [Leica] deception -- None
From: "Craig W. Shier" <shier@mnsinc.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 19:21:59 -0500

- -----Original Message-----
From: Peterson_Art@hq.navsea.navy.mil
<Peterson_Art@hq.navsea.navy.mil>
To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
<leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Date: Tuesday, January 20, 1998 6:08 PM
Subject: Re[4]: [Leica] deception -- None

>     Bob,
>
>     You mention that an SLR "goes thru a complex series of
time-consuming
>     coordinated mechanical functions before the shutter fires," but
surely
>     that difference from an M camera is merely a matter of
milliseconds;
>     otherwise Nikon photographers would have a reputation for
missing the
>     precise moment of action (which, as far as I know, they do not).

Reply:

The time delay of a reflex camera is well established.  I don't know
exactly how long the delay is but the shutter speeds at 1/30 and
shorter all sound the same on my Nikon.  (With the leica I can hear
the difference between the shutter speeds to at least 1/250.)  At
higher shutter speeds that means I must anticipate by a significant
amount in order to catch peak action.  When I'm using it a lot for
action or sports, I learn to anticipate and hardly notice that that's
what I'm doing.  Even so, the shutter blacks out for that 1/30 to 1/60
of second minimum and I'm never absolutely sure until I see the prints
what I've caught.

Of course some of my favorite pictures are the accidents of someone
slipping into the frame during that critical blakout.  I would not
have taken the picture with the 'larger than the picture' M
viewfinder.  That just goes to show you that every flaw is a feature
at one time or another.

Craig W. Shier
shier@mnsinc.com