Subject: Re: Re[4]: [Leica] deception -- None
From: Alfred Breull <puma@hannover.sgh-net.de>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 1998 09:56:25 +0100

Art:

Using and enjoying M Leica and Nikon (FM) also, I feel invited
to answer on "part of ...", "DOF ...", and "ahead of ..." also.

"part of ..." / "ahead of ...":
The VF/RF viewer supports the impression, that there is "nothing"
between you and subject/object (besides, that's the reason,
why I'm confused by the diodes within the M6 viewer). You may
describe this experience as being "part of ..." or "ahead
of ...". Different, the SLR screen shows a transformed picture,
which is less "familiar" - the visual impression is more "complicated",
although it's actually more close to the negative/ transparency.

The DOF estimation is part of the anticipation, which - in my experience -
does not work. Whenever I looked at the final transparency or print,
I found, that I over- or under-estimated DOF. I never found a correct
DOF estimation in 40 yeras of photography, *except* when I took a pic
with a 35 mm lens, no matter which aperture, or with a 90 mm lens (because
the smaller 90 mm frame invites to etsimate DOF as small also).

Alf

- -- snip