Subject: Re: [Leica] Moss / top plates
From: Leikon35 <Leikon35@aol.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 1998 22:07:38 EST

In a message dated 98-01-21 06:44:55 EST, Burt writes:
<< >>snip<<
 The cameras that you've seen in Prague, (and that have spread like plague all
 over the world) don't necessarily use new top plates.  It's not difficult to
 mill the existing top plate down if it's to be painted or replated.
 Burt Rubin

  Burt - I know that the market is swamped with all kinds of Russian fakes
  but I was speaking of authentic Leica top plates that the military ordered
  as back-up parts for their M2S (later M2R).  Many parts and dies have also
  disappeared from Midland and are reappearing in Japan.  Very good
  fakes are being produced in Taiwan, Hong Kong & even Poland.
  Japanese laws are very strict & I haven't heard of any counterfeits being
  made there.  Copies by Schmidt's Leica Tokyo - yes ---- but no counterfeits.

  By the way Burt - are you the famous Dr. Burt Rubin that wrote the
  euology for the infamous Burton Tilley?

  Marvin Moss