Subject: Re: [Leica] Top plates
From: Andras Iklody-Szabo <isza@link7.lat.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 15:19:40 -0400

Leica in Solms does replace top covers of M bodies with new ones on
request. Of course they keep the old one (to destroy it) and use the same
serial on the new one. You can also have new bottom plates. However, real
connoisseurs will notice slight differences to the original ones. So the
quality of the engravings is not the same as it used to be in the fifties.
The flash symbols on the back skirt are slightly different. The tripod
socket on the bottom plate now only comes in 1/4" whereas the original M2
had a 3/8" socket. Besides all replacement pieces only come in chrome, I
believe. Still, the camera looks much nicer after this treatment and all
parts are Leitz originals.

>Jun,
>I have nothing against people rebuilding their personal cameras. I would
>like to change my own chrome M2:s into black, if possible. The paint
>jobs done I have seen on pictures looks really great, and as long serial
>numbers are not changed, I have nothing against that at all. I would
>have it done tomorrow, if I knew somebody who could do it for me.
>
>But I could do another thing:
>Assuming I replaced the top plate on my black M4, with the same serial
>number, then changed the leather, and put fresh paint on the back and
>different levers, then I would have a M4 looking brand new. Suppose I
>wanted to sell it, imagine the huge amount I would get, compared to
>selling it with my old scratched top plate.
>I guess I would be tempted to do it, as I could buy two new M6 .85 for
>the money...
>I only need to get in contact with the people who make these top plates,
>and this is not easy, as I guess they want to run their business for
>themselves.
>
>As a user, I am not so upset about all this. I guess I would have more
>worries if I had large amounts invested in black M-bodies, as a
>collector.
>/Hans

Andras Iklody-Szabo
Caracas / Venezuela