Subject: [Leica] Leica 1.4 R lenses
From: Five Senses Productions <fls@5senses.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 10:58:09 -0800

Hello friends!

I recently bought a 35/1.4 and an 80/1.4 to go with my R8.
In fact, they are the only 2 lenses I have at the moment.
I wanted to report some results of informal testing I have
done with my lenses.

Wide open, during daylight conditions, neither lenses are
stellar performers.  The 35 introduced visible corner vignetting
at 1.4, which was completely gone by 2.8.  I suppose one would
not expect the 1.4 lenses to be excellent at 1.4 during the day.

I used the 80/1.4 in Bangkok at a Thai dance performance
inside a dimly lit restaurant and it got good images I could not
have gotten with a 2.8 lens.  From a distance of 15 feet, the 80/1.4
worked very well in low light (no vignetting whatsoever) at capturing
details in costumes and subtleties of makeup on the dancers.
The 35/1.4 also worked very well wide open at night to capture scenes
of a street market in Bangkok, lit only by street lamps.....no vignetting
here either.  Any slower lens would have required a long shutter speed
and a tripod.....I was using Velvia.

If you will never use these lenses in low-light or at night, I believe it
is not
worth the money for the 1.4.  I have heard the f/2 version of the 35mm is
excellent wide open, and never vignettes.  Can anyone comment?

The 80/1.4 does VERY well during the day at apertures smaller than f/4.
Focusing with this lens is VERY critical, and if you are not exactly on
target,
you will get an unsatisfactory image.  It definitely takes practice, and I
have
still not mastered the art of focusing this heavy lens.

Does anyone else agree that the 35/1.4 is not that great wider than f/4, or
is
this a technical fault of mine?

Francesco
fls@5senses.com