Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Email Virus
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 19:26:12 -0800

Dick Hemingway wrote:

>I'm not sure that the statement that you can only get a virus in an
>executable file is still true.  Seems that I read several months ago that
>it was feared that someone had developed a virus that would be carried in
>a text file.  I was mentioning this to a friend of mine who said that his
>daughter who lived in California would no longer send him e-mail messages
>and they had a text virus invade their computers at work.
>
>Anyone know anthing about this possible development.  The article I read,
>I believe, was in PC World.

If I'm not mistaken, the only virus for a PC that was not some sort of
executable file was a MS Word macro, that only corrupted MS Word documents
when run within MS Word. This was also the only instance of a virus that
could infect both Wintels and Macs, because MS Word for both machines can
run the same macro. It did not do anything to your file structure or other
essential items on your computer, but is another good reason not to use MS
Word!

   *            Henning J. Wulff
  /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
 /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com