Subject: Re: [Leica] Light fall-off, not vignetting
From: CHKARNES <CHKARNES@aol.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 22:57:22 EST

<<
 Francesco,

  >stellar performers.  The 35 introduced visible corner vignetting

  [snip]

 >The 35/1.4 also worked very well wide open at night to capture scenes
 >of a street market in Bangkok, lit only by street lamps.....no
 >vignetting

 How can this be??? You mean no "visible" vignetting???  Isn't vignetting
 a physical property of the lens due to construction parameters??  Or am I
 wrong or missing something (again)???

 Dick Hemingway
 Norman, OK

Fransesco and Dick,

I think vignetting is the physical obstruction of the light path that cuts
into the image on the film, usually at the corners, and usually caused by
filters that protrude too far in front of the lens or an incorrect lens shade.
What Fransesco is referring to, I think, is not vignetting, but light fall-off
due to the fact that with a wide-angle lens, the distance to the corners is
substantially farther that to the center. It's the inverse-square law acting
here.

Charlie