Subject: Re: [Leica] M viewfinder considerations
From: Emanuel-Temp_Lowi%READERSDIGEST@READERSDIGEST.COM
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 09:33:40 -0500

I have a couple of  M6 bodies with a .85 viewfinder installed (custom jobs
I had done a few months ago, using the existing M6J finder). The increased
viewing magnification is wonderful - especially since it seems to me that
since photography is about capturing things you SEE, anything you can do to
help SEE bigger and clearer is a plus. In fact, with this finder, you've
got the only 35mm camera that shows you higher viewfinder magnification
than even what the lens is recording on film (the 35mm on-film image
magnification is not .85x life-size). Also, focussing is about 20% more
accurate than the regular M6. You'll also get a benefit if you use one of
those 21mm goggle-adapted lenses made by Reinhold Mueller.
However, there is some truth to what you say about the way the frames crowd
the edges of the finder - at .85 the relationship between the finder limits
and the 35mm framelines is about the same as the 28mm lines in the regular
M6. I've stopped wearing glasses and switched to contact lenses to
alleviate the "problem."  Another small improvement was to have the 135mm
framelines removed (use SLRs for that length, even Leica has admitted this
is at the limit of their RF system), so I just see one frameline at a time,
no more pairs (the curse of all Leicas post-M4P).
Extra benefits include a much nicer 50mm frameline (still not M3, but very
good) and a very usable 90mm frameline - I just can't enjoy using a 90mm on
a regular M6.
The new factory .85 camera will also have the 75mm framelines, but only in
tandem with the 50mm. So what could be a great camera with the 75mm is a
little spoiled by the double frames. I suppose you could have TWO camera -
one without the 50mm lines so you can use your 75, and one without 75 lines
so you can use your 50. But this is getting expensive. You'll probably
still want a regular M6 for your 28mm.
If anyone wants a .85-equipped M6 I'd part with one of mine. Lemme know.