Subject: Re: Re[2]: [Leica] S'cron performance
From: TEAShea <TEAShea@aol.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 11:22:53 EST

<< So it also goes with lens design. The Leica designs favor resolution of
 small details, something you see on fine grained slides or in carefully
 reproduced prints. On softly focused machine prints those details aren't
 resolved, so the lenses that have harder contrast with less detail can give
 a greater appearance of sharpness. >>

I don't care what happens with softly focused machine prints.  This is
irrelevant to me.  I care about what is actually on the negative or slide.
Either a lens has high resolution or not.  Either a lens has high contrast or
not.

The question goes back to Leica design.  Do they design for high resoultion?
Do they design for high contrast?  Micro details seems to simply be a
description of high resolution and contrast.  Am I incorrect about this?  Does
micro resolution mean something else?

Tom Shea