Subject: Re: [Leica] Diopter for M series
From: CHKARNES <CHKARNES@aol.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 22:06:00 EST

In a message dated 98-01-23 11:32:08 EST, Bob wrote:

<<
      I just purchased a -2 diopter for my M6 and it doesn't correct the
      viewfinder.  I use the same power, -2, for my Hasselblad and Nikon
      with great results.  In fact I removed the diopter from my Nikon and
      held it over the eye piece on the M6 and everything looks great.  Any
      suggestions?

      Bob Harvey
      bharvey@iu.net >>

Bob,

Your Hasselblad's and Nikon' normal eyepiece (I refuse to call it a diopter,
which is a unit of measure, specifically 1 divided by the focal length in
meters) focuses the images about 1 meter in front of you. So for these
cameras, the -2 diopter eyepiece (-2 diopter means that is focal length is
- -0.5 meters) corrects your eye to bring the image into focus for you. The
Leica M6 viewfinder undoubtedly focuses the image somewhere else besides 1
meter, probably several meters. I have M3s, so I don't know where the M6 image
is normally focussed, but my M#s require no correction for me. The -2 diopter
eyepiece that you put on it does not properly correct the image for your eyes.
You need a different correction besides a -2 diopter.

BTW, my Hasselblad 500C/M and my Nikon F3 require DIFFERENT corrections for my
eyes.

Charlie