Subject: Re: [Leica] supposed to be a Leica M group
From: ted grant <75501.3002@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 1998 15:00:31 -0500

Jacques Grilli wrote:

<<<<Ted I agree with you with one exception - The SLR people have a way of
getting involved with the Nikon-Canon war (stupid comments).>>>>

Bonjour Jacques,

Well it does creep in occasionally, but I believe there are enough blood
committed M Leica diehards here that can keep any over abundance of  other
"manufacturers" SLR things in check.

I realize the LUG is primarily dedicated to the "M" camera with all it's
ramifications and I don't have a problem with that. But if the word came
down to back off on the R camera stuff, I'd be disappointed, but that's
life when an organization has set-up a site dedicated to M cameras.

I feel on the broader outlook, if that were to occur and "ONLY M" camera
comments and information were allowed here, that an overall basis of how
well this family functions would be lost and we'd all be poorer for it!

Certainly some Leica folks who work with both camera systems and are as
committed to Leica as you can possibly get, might be lost from the group
feeling they had been ostracized.

Personally I don't feel it is necessary to stop R camera comments, however
I might be in the minority!  In regard to the cut and dried only Leica
camera that exists is the M or models of that design from the beginning?

Well it's a changing world and as dedicated as we all are to Leica "M"'s
many of us "must use" other Leica versions to survive in our work and
hobbies. And should we Leica R users be eliminated from the enjoyment of
the Leica Users Group, when in fact we do contribute a little to making
this the wonderful informative location it is. It would be a shame.

And sales of Leica equipment have illustrated since the R8 arrived, it has
been a major factor in the attention to Leica cameras. All models!

It isn't my call, I'm just a major devotee to Leica and the LUG. And when
we have a new comer sign on and within 24 hours we are into the "I thought
this was a dedicated M group and etc etc about R cameras!" and it obviously
has made some effect as to who and what should be discussed here, I think
maybe we should hold our own and just roll along the way we have been.

I mean, have we the M&R people caused so much discomfort for "M"Users that
they feel we have taken over?  Don't think so!

that's all folks, let's just keep on truckin them M and R Leicas! :)

IMHO!  :)

ted