Subject: [Leica] Re: Summicron 1960-68 - Alf & Bud etal
From: MGMcGough2@aol.com
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 1998 17:12:03 EST

 The obsolete 50/2 rigid Summicron  (1960 - 68) with all its alledged
aberrations
  was and is considered to be the Standard of Excellence from which all other
  similar lenses are judged (see Irwin Puts' Web Site).  There are lenses made
  today with many improvements that will show up on an optical bench or test
  chart but there many of us that are interested in a pleasing picture and not
  just one where you can count all the pimples on a persons nose.

  All these so called APO, asspherical, rare earth glass etc. improvements
  are just due to advanced technology of the day and mainly serve as a way
  to sell the latest equipment to the person that must have the latest of
every-
  thing.  Back in the highly competitive days of Hi-Fidelity Sound, you could
  spend X dollars for a system that was 98.5% distortion free & then spend
  another $100 or so for each 1/10% improvement which was mostly inaudible.

  Mary Grace