Subject: Re: [Leica] supposed to be a Leica M group
From: ted grant <75501.3002@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 22:46:17 -0500

Ben wrote:

<<On an M note: I took some photos the other night at an indoor ice hockey
game  with my Noctilux and overexposed them!  What a dunce!  What a lens!>>

Hi Ben,

here is another hockey "Noctilux" story! :)

Several years ago I was shooting an NHL game in the Vancouver Coliseum  and
I thought, "great place to use the Noctilux and shoot kodachrome 64!" Wild
thought and damn near didn't do it. Until I put the camera to eye and took
a reading with the M6 metering and the little red arrowheads lit-up!

Well would you believe that? hell here I am getting a reading that was
lighting the two arrowheads equally at 1/500 at f.1! and ISO 64!

So I figure , "Why not, go for it!" :)  So I'm standing there with a bunch
of news shooters and take a roll of Kodachrome 64 out of my bag and load
it. "What the hell are you going to do with that in here?" Amidst laughter
and other unrepeatable comments.

"Shoot it! Why not? The exposure is 1/500 at f.1, so what!" Just b'cause
you guys have to use those big machines and shoot all that high speed stuff
etc etc etc.!" :)

I was very carefully watched as I plinked away, a little on the loose side
for the net action, but nevertheless it looked good through the viewfinder.

A couple days later when I got the rolls back and made a visit to the paper
photo department, layed the pages of KR slides on their light table the
guys didn't believe it! There was lots of ooo's and aaaaaaaawwe's. "but too
bad they're too loose!" Only negative comment.  But they were very
impressed with a Noctilux!:)

"Hey if you guys were only using real cameras, well, what can I say.":)

It was great and one of the times I just had plain ordinary fun shooting
film that no one in their right mind would consider shooting in an indoor
kockey arena. :)  Well OK, it was lit for TV like high noon at the OK
corral, nevertheless the M Leica and a Noctilux allowed me colour quality
by the existing light rarely seen from an indoor hockey game. :)

Sure lots of guys shoot KR in these situations, but they have a zillion
mega candles of light from strobes! :) Hey me, my M and my Nocti baby!

What can I say! :)

ted