Subject: Re: [Leica] What the "other guys" are saying about Leicas
From: Duncan Young <dunk@mincom.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 15:26:43 +1000 (EST)

On Mon, 26 Jan 1998, TEX WORKER wrote:

> Eric
>
> You speak with great reverance of the Leica lens.  Take close-ups of single
> flower, a rose or the like, with 100 mm F2.8 APO  and it will explain it for
> you . No other explanation will be necessary.

Well I would say 3D Macro work is probably not the best place to see the
differences in a good lens vs a bad lens.  If you don't stop down, most of
your picture is blured ( admittedly a nicely blured background is good ).  If
you do stop down, then past F16 or so ( allow for an extra stop or two for
extension ) you will be hard pressed to appreciate the excellence of the lens
( it will be well and truly diffraction limited ).

I'm not criticising the lens, but it is kind of frustrating to know that
your lens resolution etc is on a downhill slide from F11+ but be forced to
use it to get the required depth of field.

    Duncan