Subject: [Leica] Scanner Question
From: Richard Clompus <rclompus@voicenet.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 11:10:11 -0800

Dear Fellow LUGnuts,

I am really new to this digital stuff.  I just got my first slide scanner -
the Olympus ES-10.  It scans a 35mm slide or negative at 72 dots per inch
in less than 10 seconds.  It creates a file about 90K in size which is just
perfect for PowerPoint lectures.  The images viewed directly from the
scanner usually are too yellow.  I must export the images into PhotoShop
and fine tune the image there so it is usable in presentations.  I have
tried higher dots per inch but I end up with a 10MB file that is useless
for lectures.  It takes too long to change from one image to another.
Small files work faster but you do give up some quality.  It seems the
limiting factor is the video projectors used for the lectures.  Hopefully
they will improve from VGA to SVGA in the near future.

My question:  Is is standard for scanned slide images to need touching up
(color balance, contrast, etc.) before they can be used for publication?  I
have checked the white balance of my new scanner and it is fine.

Thanks for your help.  Overall, I am a bit disappointed in the quality of
the image on a computer screen compared to the original slide shot with a
Leica.  I can see that film technology is still significantly better than
consumer quality digital output.

Happy shooting,

Richard
Richard Clompus, OD