Subject: Re: [Leica] enlarger and focus
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 08:26:23 -0800

At 09:04 AM 1/27/98 +0000, you wrote:
>Jim Brick wrote "I hate to tell you this, but I think you have it
>backwards. To make smaller
>prints, you move the enlarger head closer to the paper. When you do this,
>you must move the lens FARTHER away from the film (closer to the paper) in
>order to focus"
>
>Sorry but this is incorrect I have  Durst 600 series, this machine is
>designed for film sizes up to 6X6 and is normally fitted with a 75/80mm
>lens. To use a 50mm for 35mm film it is necessary to use a recessed lens
>board.
>Doug

What I said IS CORRECT. You changed lens focal lengths. Of course you have
to use a recessed lensboard when mounting a 50mm lens instead of the normal
75/80mm lens. I have a Durst 606. Just think about this. The 50mm lens has
a focal length 1" shorter than a 75mm lens. THAT MEANS IT HAS TO BE MOUNTED
1" CLOSER TO THE FILM. WITH A RECESSED LENS BOARD. But if you want to make
small prints, (the subject of the original question) YOU MUST MOVE THE
ENLARGER HEAD CLOSER TO THE PAPER AND YOU MUST MOVE THE LENS FARTHER AWAY
FROM THE FILM (CLOSER TO THE PAPER) IN ORDER TO FOCUS. You may have to
mount that 50mm lens back on the 75mm lens board in order to focus, to make
very small prints. Which is what Gabe wanted to do. He could not focus for
prints smaller than 5x7. Just exactly as I said. Move the head closer to
the paper, move the lens farther away from the film, with a flat or cone
(depends how small you want to go) lensboard. A recessed lendboard will not
work. As Gabe said, you run out of threads.

Please think about what you are saying before you confuse folks.

Jim