Subject: Re: [Leica] M6, DR and I
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 21:53:35 -0800

Garbutt, Robert wrote:

> The clarity of the DR is just stupendous at normal range.  Clear, crisp
> and other adjectives which are not always applicable to the 50/1.4
> Nikkor I am used to.  I have seen 'the look' and it *is* good.  At close
> range I seem to have problems though.  Focusing the DR is a pain with
> the small M focus area and there seems to be a parallax problem with the
> eyes - if the subject is not parallel to the film plane the split images
> don't line up properly and there is an element of guess work injected
> into the focussing process.  At f/2 this makes the lens a hit and miss
> affair.  Did I get a dud pair of eyes or is this the usual story?  I
> think I prefer my FM2 and 55/2.8 Micro-Nikkor for those cutesy flower
> shots I so love.

The DR is just plain clumsey compared to slr for closeup, just a added
bennie, like the close up on the new 35-70.

> On this journey I took Agfa Optima 100 for prints and Kodak EPP for
> slides.  Generally EPP was a disaster.  I have some nice people shots
> but for landscapes the words grainy, over-contrasty and gaudy come to
> mind.  I tended towards under exposure of this film and see that I
> should probably have gone for a straight reflected light reading.
> Performance does not justify the price of EPP in my book.

EPP is one of my long standing favorite films--but not for landscape or
general outdoor work.  It is simply the best portrait transparency film
I've ever used--soft and gentle.

> I took more time with my shots though could have taken more - so often
> the case.  For this trip I returned to Velvia and again am blown away
> with it in shade and backlit situations.   Velvia is so smooth and
> seamless in half light, rendering darkness in all its intensity, and the
> odd waterfall streams through as ribbon-like vapour.   I still struggle
> with this film in the harsh Australian midday light though.  My feel for
> exposure wasn't the best in these circumstances but even with bracketing
> some shots failed to make the grade.  The contrast of the scene is just
> too high.  So far K64 seems to be the only film that passes the midday
> test.  Can anyone recommend any other way of working?  I know that the
> 'rules' say this is not the time to photograph but why miss the midday
> world if you don't have to.

I find that I prefer shooting Velvia backlit whereever possible with
generous exposures for the shadows and it holds the highlights just
right.  Or shot pretty direct light without much shadow.  Or use fill
light.

The other option I've used successfully is to overexpose a half to full
stop and PULL process the roll a half stop at least.  Most films die
with a wimper when you do this, but Velvia has such contrast that it can
work. Do a bit of experimenting and snip testing of a roll and make
notes.  Might help that hammer of a sun in land down--well you know
where.

Sounds like even if no film came out it was good trip.

donal
- ---
Donal Philby
San Diego