Subject: [Leica] R8 Screen Chat
From: Myers Pete <MyersPete@aol.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 04:09:54 EST

Thanks for your post Jeff. Maxwell Precision Optics provides a similar, though
different process for "coating" screens, as does Beatte. Bill Maxwell also can
perform mechanical modifications to create custom screens. For example, he can
'grid' a screen - which I have had done.

In any regard, I do agree that this type of process does increase the apparent
brightness in the viewfinder and is of quite a help. I have already done this
part of the work and it solved half of my 'problem'.

The 'grit' issue regarding the R8 screens is another matter. That is why we
are looking back in time to the R4 screens, which were Minolta screens.
Minolta had the original patent for the 'laser matte' process - I have been
told. And, the R4 screens are suppose to be of this type, made by Minolta.

Perhaps some R4 users would like to comment on their R4 screens vs R8 screens.
I am not even of knowledge in regard to which type of screens were available
for the R4 - as in, what type of focusing aides?

Jeff, I think your comments were very much on target and it this is precisely
why we are it now. But, for me, having focusing aids is a help in that I do
have an astigmatisum and when I take my glasses off, the view finder is a bit
blurred for me. Having a microprism center helps me a lot.

There are lots of ways to skin a cat, and I am just trying one combination. I
am reporting in on the subject as others might benifit from the info
uncovered.

Any R4 owners want to talk about their screens?

Pete Myers