Subject: [Leica] Leica 35mm Aspherical lenses vs. "older"M series 35mm
From: Mani Sitaraman <bindumani@pacific.net.sg>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 09:00:27 -0800

Leica has now replaced its previousM-Series 35mm Summicron f1.4 and f2
with its aspherical line. Availablenow are the M 35mm/1.4 Aspherical and
M 35mm/f2 Aspherical.

In its literature (see http://www.leica-camera.com/m_system/mobj_e.htm)
Leica claims that the M 35/2 Asph. is significantly better than the
older non-asph. f2 that it has replaced. Also, it says the M 35/1.4 ASPH
is better than the new M 35/2 ASPH at wider apertures.

Additionally, the product release perhaps indirectly disparages (IMHO)
the older lens, generally considered a classic, as "having been produced
in Canada for many years"(!).

Does anyone have direct experience of these M-Series 35mm ASPH lenses
vs. the recently discontinued non ASPH counterparts? I shoot slides and
would consider replacing my M series 35/2 non-asph if the difference
is     immediately apparent.

I'm a bit frustrated as the Leica literature really does not provide the
objective comparative information I need, let alone qualitative or
anecdotal information, but rather does "push" the new lenses, I suspect,
towards those of us who are either collectors, or those of us who wish
to assured that we "have the latest and best".

Mani Sitaraman