Subject: [Leica] Noctilux and The Eclipse
From: Afterswift@aol.com
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 02:48:33 -0500 (EST)

Dear Colleagues,

The fastest lens I've ever used is a 50mm Summarit 1.5. By its very nature
this type of optic is very selective when used for its maximum speed, which
is its specialty. Probably doubly so for the Noctilux.

I find it invaluable for indoor EL portraiture. If I want to do a group shot,
I must wait until those subjects are in line facing the M3 -- at one plane.
Very challenging and interesting since I never set up a shot but watch for
what I call 'The Eclipse.' The rare moment when those folks fortuitously fall
into the same narrow DOF. It takes a lot of fancy footwork on my part.

I notice that Woody Allen uses this technique as well as British directors of
TV dramas. If overused it becomes trite. In straight unposed still
photography it never becomes a cliche. Why? Because that confluence seldom
happens on its own in real life (RL). And RL is what I'm primarily interested
in.

The greatest material gift I could receive would be a fast M Leica 50mm lens.
I'd gladly settle for a 1.4 50mm. With the Noctilux, my cup runneth over.

I believe there's a better astonomical term used to describe sun, earth and
moon in a line, but it's easy to remember Eclipse for my notes.

Bob R