Subject: Re: [Leica] Lens Pen
From: dannyg1 <dannyg1@IDT.NET>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 08:20:36 +0000

> I used a Lens Pen yesterday to clean the front element on some Leica and
> Zeiss glass.  I didn't have any problems at all, even though I had to press
> down fairly hard to remove the guano.  Go for it.

I own some older Kodak Ektar/Wollensak lenses for my Graflex cameras and, if the
'50s Leica lenses have the same coating type, it is extraordinarily fragile and scratches
*far* more easily than any modern coating I know of. I would never use anything on
those coatings that required me to "press hard" and hope you'll consider using
extreme caution when considering cleaning methods.

For my 50's lenses, I use Q-tips and 91% isopropyl alcohol and almost zero pressure.
After a microfiber cloth made many fine coating scratches, I had to find a way that
worked and the above was the only way I've found that cleans to perfection and never
scratches.

Danny Gonzalez