Subject: Re: [Leica] Off Topic (slightly)
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 08:08:48 -0600

At 08:13 PM 1/28/98 -0800, you wrote:

>Need to do some kiddie basketball stuff....not what I do (color print).
>Have M6 and 35,50,90 chrons, 135 Elmarit
>FM and 75-150 E

Ouch! None of them are ideal for basketball. This is the domain of fast SLR
glass. Though I am tempted to try my 75mm Summilux for fun some time. What
I do I'll report what 10 yeras of shooting LOTS of basketball can do for me
and an M6. My preference for basketball is a 90 Summicron R, or 180
Elmarit. Minimum for mid to other end of the court is 280 2.8 Apo Telyt.

>Indoors (Gym)....what is the quick and easy (no flash) color print film of
>choice for this kind of work?

There is one, and only one choice, in most gyms. Unless the light is bright
enough to shoot 400 Fujicolor, use Fujicolor 800 and if you have access to
pushing, shoot it at 1600 or 3200. Keep the shutter speeds at 1/500 if
possible.  Nothing wider than a 50mm lens will work, the referees won't let
you get closer.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

We are born naked, wet and hungry. Then things get worse.