Subject: Re: [Leica] Best 60 2.8 R?
From: "Bud Cook" <budcook@ibm.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 10:39:20 -0600

I've used the Macro Elmarit for years.  I won't say it's as good as a 50mm
SummicronM at infinity but it's still outstanding.  As you approach half
life size it produces some pretty amazing results.  The only disadvantage
this lens has is that a longer focal length macro is generally more useful.
However, as a general purpose lens it's outstanding.

I've owned two versions of the 55mm Micro Nikkor and it's not even close to
the Leitz lens.

My impressions are based on projection of Kodachrome 25 transparencies.

I believe the optical formula for the two versions of this lens are the
same.  The first one used a Series 8 filter while the latter uses a 55mm
filter size(I think).

Bud Cook