Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 0.85 Announcement
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 19:38:59 -0500

At 01:04 PM 29-01-98 -0800, Stephen Gandy wrote:
>Dan Cardish wrote:
>
>> (referring to the new .85 M6)
>>
>> Am I the only one thinking that just maybe this camera will be a sales
>>
>> flop, resulting in outlandish auction sales 10 years from now?
>>

>Yes, you might be the only one thinking that the .85 will be a sales
>flop.  Of course,  time will tell--you could be right.
>
>A lot of people  seem to  think Leica finally hit it right on the head
>with a quality M6 update.   The extra focusing accuracy is really needed
>with the 50/1 and 75/1.4,  while it will also improves the focusing
>accuracy of the 50/1.4 and 90/2.

[snip]

Don't get me wrong, I am seriously considering buying one; it all depends
on how the Canadian $ and the stock market perform in the next few weeks.
I think the .85 viewfinder will be wonderful with my 75/1.4, and I will get
much more use out of my 90.  However, when I describe the new camera to
photographer friends of mine, they think it would be crazy to give up the
28mm frames, as well as possibly putting up with reduced functionality with
the 35mm frames.  I am sure that established LUGers would love the new
camera.  New Leica buyers, I am not so sure of.

Dan C.