Subject: Re: R: [Leica] Noctilux
From: "Jeff S" <segawa@netone.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 18:23:48 -0700

I think if there's a guideline to follow here, it's that, if you want to
show darkness, you need to show LIGHT! Usually, the illuminated subject is
something that you want to call attention to and will be "properly" exposed,
though not always! When shooting the interiors of gothic cathedrals, I've
found it helpful in some instances to allow the detail of the stained glass
windows to deliberately burn out, and to pay more attention to the
architectural details thus illuminated. In such an instance, I'll reduce the
window itself to a smallish sliver of my picture-just enough to suggest a
source of light (it'll show little detail anyhow), "properly" expose some of
the directly lit surfaces, and allow all else to sort of sink into gloom.