Subject: Re: [Leica] Lens Pen
From: TTAbrahams@aol.com
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 21:11:42 EST

Francesco, Moderate amount of alcohol in the photographer only improves the
quality of the image - why waste it on the lens!
 I do not advocate using any liquid on the lenses. The most I use is a Q-tip
with a small amount of kodak Lenscleaner on it, squeezed almost dry and then
lens tissue wrapped around the Q-tip. I have a healthy fear of liquid
migrating into the mount and finding its way between elements. Most of the
time I brush of the lenses with a camel hair brush and every month or so I
check that there is no serious " gunk" stuck to the lens. If there is, I use
the Q-tip and tissue to clean it. The later Leica lenses have a harder coating
than the early ones. Some of the collapsible Summicron looks like someone used
steel wool to clean them. Very soft coating and probably one reason why Leica
recommended filters in those days.
 I used to do a lot of industrial shooting and some of the stuff that you
encounter in pulp and paper plants or in chemical processing plant is really
bad. In most cases the coatings survived intact but I had vulcanite dissolving
and paint blistering on bodies ( camera bodies!!!) from the acid in the air (
I was using a oxygen tank and a facemask for those jobs) or in the liquid on
the floor of the boilers in the chlorine bleach plants. It will shorten a
Gitzo tripod by a couple of inches if you leave it sitting in it!! I only lost
one lens, dropped it in 3" of acidic goo and that did the coating in. It was
not a Leica lens, it was a Zeiss 50 for a Hasselblad, really screwed up that
shutter too!
 In the good old days when you got the lenses dirty, you used any available
piece of clothing to clean it. Only reason why pressphotographers ever used a
tie,is if it is soft enough to be used as a cleaning cloth. Maybe someone
should come up with a MicroFiber Tie/Cleaning cloth combo for formal shoots!
Tom A