Subject: Re: [Leica] A level of lens protection
From: Thomas Kachadurian <kach@freeway.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 20:36:01 -0500

I must toss in my $.02 re filters.

First, so you know where I come from, I'm a filterless man. My lenses
prefer the freedom. Aside from all of the other reasons not to use them
I'll add two. 1. Clip on or pull out hoods are designed to give maximum
protection from stray light hitting the front element. Stick a filter on
there and you've got a glass surface, high quality or not, only partly
shielded by the hood.
2. The filter is always bigger than the front element, and a real pain to
keep clean. I'll take a clean lens with a scratch over a dirty filter every
time, but I don't have to because in years of going naked I'm never
suffered even tha slightest mark.

I've purchased lenses from people so affraid to clean them that they
reduced the price for "marks" which turned out to be just nasty
fingerprints that weren't properly cleaned off.

It comes down to this. Why did you buy those lenses? Even Leica gear makes
a lousy investment. They don't do much to impress women (except maybe Tina,
but she's not an ordinary woman). Lenses are a tool for photography, and
sometimes tools will suffer from use. If you use your Leicas for years and
make great photographs, and one day, one of your lenses falls to the gound
on a rock that's just small enough to get at the front element, don't
dispair. It's just the reason you need to buy the newest aspheric version.

When your tools are too dear to use, it's time to get different tools.

Tom