Subject: Re: [Leica] R8 and japan
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 18:08:51 -0600

At 11:01 AM 1/30/98 -0500, you wrote:

>The two first prototype of AF camera that I remember from the Photokina
>are: the Leica SL2 with corrofot, and later a Contax with 3 lenses.
>Maybe my memory is selective.  ;-)

I'm sure you're right about the Correfot camera. The main reason they gave
for not going ahead was that the lenses were so tight that it would take
too much energy for batteries to support making them focus fast enough. And
Leica wouldn't have anything to do with selling pitiful performance.

Leica chose sturdy lenses over fast AF. I agree with them. So I'm sure they
both were happy to come up with a solution like the AX, which has to be
about as big as an SL2mot (only a different shape).

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

You're only young once; you can be immature f'ever