Subject: Re: [Leica] Off Topic (slightly)
From: Ken Wilcox <wilcox@umcc.umcc.umich.edu>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 1998 16:41:31 -0500

Eric:

It's obvious that we don't agree on this but perhaps we should return to
the original poster's parameters. In particular, he said that he was
shooting "kiddie" basketball.

Perhaps I'm assuming too much, but I presume that he is shooting for
parents or for a local publication who is publishing with parents as a
target audience. If this is so, my long experience as a teacher (middle
school) tells me that what parents want is to see _their kid_ on the court.

While the extreme closeup you advocate (and which I'll concede may be
required for college or pro sports coverage) may be fine for the one or two
"stars" of the kiddie team, it may well not satisfy the needed of the
intended audience of the pictures. The wider, more inclusive shots may well
be more appropriate.

BTW: For me, focusing is MUCH faster and surer with a rangefinder than with
an SLR. This is true for _me_ (and I must assume at least some others) both
in 35mm and medium format. (This fact lead me many years ago to forsake
reflex medium format cameras for Koni-Omegas when I was supplementing my
meager beginning teacher's salary with wedding photography)

I'm not questioning that you and/or most/all of the "great" sports
photographers use SLRs. That seem pretty obvious when watching professional
sports. I'm merely suggesting that SLRs are not the best tool for everyone,
especially if, as I assumed from the original post [perhaps an error on my
part] one does not own SLR equipment.

Cheers!

kw

>In overall terms, that's true. But for shooting sports, there is no
>comparison. SLRs are plain better for that particular subject type than
>Rangefinders. Because it's easier to focus SLRs faster on such fast-moving
>subjects. Has nothing to do with "vision" or style of the photographer.
>It's plain physics. The way focusing is fast when you turn the focusing
>ring with SLRs. The whole image shows what's in focus, not just a small
>square in the center. You can't focus and recompose when shooting someone
>doing a layup. Sports requires you focus with the whole screen. Setting one
>distance and letting the subject move into that spot might work for mundane
>pedestrian sports photos, but the great sports photographers all shoot as
>they follow the action. And focus on the eyes of the athlete as they shoot.

- ----
LHSA, MEA, LAW                         preferred--->
<wilcox@umcc.umich.edu>
                                              <kwilcox@genesee.freenet.org>