Subject: Re: [Leica] Filters ( with or without a proposal for a dual) again, very long.
From: Thomas Kachadurian <kach@freeway.net>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 1998 21:36:53 -0500

At 06:21 PM 1/31/98 -0500, you wrote:

>Seriously, can someone propose a simple test,like shooting a scene with and
>without the UV filter, under prescribe conditions so that we settle this
>matter
>once and for all. Lets wait for the results

I can give you a few.

1. Try any scene with point light sources, not as bright as the sun, but an
evening scene with street lights for example. With a filter you'll find
ghosting from the lights. The wider the lens, the worse the effect, but
you'll see it.

2. 35mm Summicron with hood over sand, snow or any light foreground. The
hood covers the front element well, but add a filter and you get stray
light from the sand. You will not see softness, but a reduction in contrast
from the stray light.

3. Anytime you are shooting into your light source, even if the light
source is not in the frame.

Try it, and you'll be leaving those filters behind