Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: % of LUG mail deleted w/o being read
From: Dave Munroe <dmunroe@vcd.hp.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 1998 20:34:46 -0800

> It would be interesting to compile a list of the percentage of the 50 or more
> LUG  posts per day - that are deleted without being read as I have heard many
> members say that they would automatically delete all post which were from
> certain members that really bear no interest to the group & should have been
> sent by private mail.

I skim through the list of subjects and automatically delete any mail
of the form <this thing vs. that thing>.  I briefly read mail on any
new subject, but if it contains mostly 1-line responses, cutsey replies,
or large masses of quoted material, then I biff all mail with that
subject thereafter.  Threads that go on for days and days usually
have degenerated early in their life and those get biffed too.  Thus,
I probably actually read about 1% of the mail, skim through the contents
of about 10%, the rest is deleted.

- -Dave