Subject: Re: [Leica] Filters ( with or without a proposal for a dual) again, very long.
From: Pascal <cyberdog@ibm.net>
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 98 16:50:22 +0100

On 01-02-1998 03:36 Thomas Kachadurian wrote:

>At 06:21 PM 1/31/98 -0500, you wrote:
>
>>Seriously, can someone propose a simple test,like shooting a scene with and
>>without the UV filter, under prescribe conditions so that we settle this
>>matter
>>once and for all. Lets wait for the results
>
>I can give you a few.
>
>1. Try any scene with point light sources, not as bright as the sun, but an
>evening scene with street lights for example. With a filter you'll find
>ghosting from the lights. The wider the lens, the worse the effect, but
>you'll see it.

That's exactly what I experienced with the Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH and
Leica UV filter. First I thought it was a lens. But, after close
examination of all night pictures I took, I noticed that only pictures
with predominant and not-too-far-off streetlights in them, had ghosting.
Must have been the filter! So avoid filters in such circumstances.
On the other hand, when streetlights are at a distance on the picture,
there was no visible ghosting, and I took some breathtaking shots WITH
filter on the lens. So it really depends on the situation.

In normal use, I would advise to keep the filter on, however. Cheap
insurance compared to the price of your lens.

Pascal

Sent on a Macintosh PowerBook G3, the fastest laptop on the planet