Subject: Re: [Leica] Multicoating
From: Paul vanPeenen <paddler@istar.ca>
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 1998 09:41:01 -0800

Ted wrote:

>Basically, I never use UV filters regardless of the maelstroms of dust,
>dirt, water, wind and smoke one may encounter. The filter still works out
>to putting a two bit piece of glass on a multi thousand dollar piece of
>glass.

I quit using filters - and saving lots of money at the same time - when I
received slides back from a trip into a remote location with all kinds of
strange reflections from having filters on the lens. Flare, glare and other
forms of stray light  ruined many exposures. I even had some where I could
see the hood of my 28 reflected. I was so disappointed. I threw away more
the $200 worth of filters that day but I haven't had any strange,
undesirable glare since. Toss 'em.

I've also found I take better care of my equipment without the filters. I
think they induced a false sense of security.

Dan wrote:

>Like the original poster asked, please show me (photographs, not documents)
>the flare, double images, ghosting, whatever, caused by UV filters.

For anyone who's interested, I'll e-mail an example of what uv filters can
do. I have no way of posting it but I'll gladly e-mail anyone a jpg.

Pv

Paul vanPeenen and Liz van'terve
paddler@istar.ca